20 questions on “Important Days National/International GK”, please refer part I of this series to see first 30 questions – important for civil services, Bank PO exam &/or other competitive government exams. important dates, UN decades and years, important discoveries etc.
So, why we are covering this topic is because it is asked in general studies or general knowledge section of various exams like Bank PO, UPSC, State PSC, SSC and other government exams like this.
Hope we will be able to help you in some good way and this article helps you in gaining more knowledge about this topic.
Other similar articles:
Table of Contents
Que (31): How is Swami Vivekananda’s birthday observed in India?
A. Children’s day
B. Spiritual Day
C. Educational day
D. As National Youth Day
Answer: As National Youth Day (Yuva Diwas)
- It is celebrated in the honour of Swami Vivekanand because he was not only an influential figure but a firm believer of power of youth as well.
- Declared by: Government of India on 12-Jan-1985 and is annual event i.e. celebrated every year.
Que (32): Which day is observed as the World Environment Day?
A. 6th June
B. 5th June
C. 10th June
D. 9th June
Answer: 5th June
- World Environment Day is held each year on June 5.
- Purpose: To encourage awareness and action for the protection of the environment.
- First held in: 1973.
Que (33): World day to combat desertification and drought is observed on which date?
A. July – 18
B. July – 17
C. July – 16
D. July – 15
Explanation: The United Nations’ World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought is
- Observed annually on June 17,
- Purpose: To raise awareness about desertification and drought,
- Highlighting methods for preventing desertification and recovering from drought.
- Proclaimed by UNGA on 30-Jan-1995.
Que (34): Which day is the International Human Rights Day?
A. December 10th
B. December 11th
C. December 12th
D. December 13th
Answer: December 10th
- Importance: To honour the United Nations General Assembly’s adoption and proclamation, on 10 December 1948, of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR).
- It was the first global enunciation of human rights.
Que (35): When did UN General Assembly establish UN Industrial Development Organization?
- Is established as a UN programme in 1966,
- Headquartered in: Vienna, Austria,
- Became a specialised agency of the United Nations in: 1985.
Que (36): In which year ‘Human Rights Resolution’ was adopted by the U.N. ?
- Adopted in Paris on 10 December 1948,
- Result of: Experience of Second World War.
Que (37): When is International Literacy Day recognised by the UN observed?
A. September 9
B. September 10
C. September 7
D. September 8
Answer: September 8
- First held in: 1967,
- Declared by: UNESCO on 26-Oct-1966,
- Highlight improvements in world literacy rates as a result of effort of governments, civil society etc.
- Reflect on the world’s remaining literacy challenges.
Que (38): When is World Humanitarian Action Day is observed?
A. August 19
B. September 9
C. October 19
D. November 11
- Show special appreciation and respect fo the martyrs of the humanitarian causes,
- Recognising the effort of frontline workers who faces adversity and danger to help other in need.
Que (39): 23rd January is celebrated as the birthday of which person?
A. MG Ranade
B. Lala Lajpatrai
C. BR Ambedkar
D. Subhash Chandra Bose
Answer: Subhash Chandra Bose
- Subhash Chandra Bose was born on 23rd January 1897 in Calcutta,
- This day officially called as Parakam Divas,
- Also called as Netaji Jayanti or Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Jayanti in honour of the birth anniversary of prominent Indian Freedom fighter Netaji Shubhash Chandra Bose.
Que (40): Which year is celebrated as International Year of Forests?
- Declared by: United Nations,
- For: Raise awareness and strengthen sustainable management, conservation and sustainable development of all types of forests,
- Reason for this is every year we are losing forest as a result of development.
Que (41): National Press day is celebrated on:
- In honour of: Press Council of India,
- Importance: To mark the presence of the free and responsible press in India.
Que (42): The United Nations declared 2014 as which International Year?
- To emphasise the importance of crystallography in human life.
Que (43): Which day is celebrated as United Nations day every year?
A. 24th October
B. 25th October
C. 26th October
D. 27th October
Answer: 24th October
- Reflecting the official creation of United Nations on 24-Oct-1945.
Que (44): When is World Mental Health Day recognised by the UN is observed?
- Importance: To raise awareness about mental health issues,
- First celebrated in: 1992 at the initiative of the World Federation for Mental Health, a global mental health organisation.
Que (45): When is the ‘World No Tobacco Day’ observed all over the world?
- Importance: To raise awareness about the harmful and deadly effects of tobacco use.
Que (46): Which day is observed as Gandhi Jayanti every year?
A. 2nd October
B. 2nd November
C. 2nd December
D. 2 January
Answer: 2nd October every year
- To mark the birth day of Mahatma Gandhi.
Que (47): What are the birth and death years of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar?
A. 1891, 1956
B. 1827, 1911
Answer: 1891, 1956
- Every year 14-April is observed as Ambedkar Jayanti or Bhim Jayanti.
Que (48): The year 1995 is the golden Jubilee year of which international organisations?
D. none of these
- It was founded on 24-Oct-1945.
Que (49): Ambedkar Jayanti or Bhim Jayanti is celebrated every year on:
Answer: 14-April every year
- In the memory of Dr. B.R.Ambedkar who was born on 14-April-1891.
Que (50): When is International Youth Day recognised by the UN observed?
- First observed in: 12-Aug-2000
- Purpose: Draw attention to given set of cultural and legal issues surrounding youth.
Other relevant links:
So, this is the second part in this series. Do let us know if this helped you in someway or you want us to improve something.
Also, let us know if you want us to write on some other topic as well.