30 questions on “Important Days National/International GK – Part I” i.e. important days of united nations, when some important organisation like ISRO was founded and other questions like which are of national and international importance.
Reason to present this information is it is asked in civil services, bank PO, general studies etc. exams of government.
Hope this will be of help for you guys.
Also, this is just the first article and there will be follow-up article as well on this topic.
- United Nation Important Days List
- Important Days and Dates of National and International Importance for India
Other similar articles: Part – I | Part – II | Part – III.
Que (1): When is International Human Solidarity Day observed?
- Goal: Recognise value of solidarity,
- Main focus is to aware people about initiatives to reduce poverty,
- Promoted by: World Solidarity Fund and UNDP,
- Established on: 22-Dec-2005.
Que (2): The United Nations declared 2001 as which International Year?
A. International Year of Pulses
B. International Year of Volunteers
C. International Year of Soils
D. International Year of Youth
Answer: International Year of Volunteers
- By: United Nations General Assembly,
- Aim: Recognition and promotion of volunteering,
- Focus: Highlight achievements of volunteers.
Que (3): When did man first land on moon?
- Person: Neil Armstrong,
- Spaceflight: Apollo 11 launched from Kennedy Space Centre, Florida.
Que (4): When was the monopoly of East India Company in trade brought under the control of the British Crown?
A. 1777 A.D.
B. 1775 A.D.
C. 1800 A.D
D. 1813 A.D.
- Act: By the Charter Act of 1813 also known as the East India Company Act 1813.
Que (5): The United Nations declared 2013 as the International Year of which cooperation?
A. Friend co-operation
B. Nuclear Cooperation
C. Food co-operation
D. Water Co-operation
Answer: Water Cooperation
- For: Recognising the importance of peaceful and sustainable development.
Que (6): When is International Day of Peace, recognised by the UN is observed?
A. Sept – 20
B. Sept – 21
C. Sept – 22
D. Sept – 23
Answer: Sept – 21
- Every year it is celebrated worldwide,
- This day is devoted to: Strengthening the ideals of peace both within and among all nations and peoples,
- Declared by: general Assembly.
Que (7): In which year was ‘Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana’ launched?
- Launched by: Government of India,
- For: Creating rural electricity infrastructure,
- Aim: Providing electricity to rural households.
Que (8): When is International Day for Tolerance, recognised– the UN is observed?
A. Nov – 12
B. Nov – 14
C. Nov – 16
D. Nov – 18
- Declared in: 1995,
- Declared by: UNESCO,
- Aim: Generate public awareness regarding the dangers of intolerance.
Que (9): When was Inter-Governmental Authority on Development came into existence?
A. 21st March, 1994
B. 21st March, 1998
C. 21st March, 1996
D. 21st March, 1995
Answer: 21st March, 1996
- It succeeded: Intergovernmental Authority on Drought and Development (IGADD) which was founded in 1986.
- Intergovernmental Authority on Drought and Development (IGADD) was founded by: Djibouti, Ethiopia, Somalia, Sudan, Uganda and Kenya,
- IGADD focus: Development and environmental control.
Que (10): When was Lake Chad Basin Commission founded?
A. 22nd May, 1966
B. 22nd May, 1963
C. 22nd May, 1964
D. 22nd May, 1968
Answer: 22nd May, 1964
- Established by: Four countries that border this Lake Chad i.e. Cameroon, Niger, Nigeria and Chad,
- Joined in 1996 by: Republic of Central Africa.
Que (11): Which decade is celebrated as decade of Action for road safety?
- Officially proclaimed by: United Nations General Assembly (UNGA),
- Proclaimed in the year: 2010,
- Aim: Reduce the level of road traffic deaths around the world.
Que (12): Which decade is celebrated as United Nations decade on biodiversity?
- Declared by: United Nations General Assembly (UNGA),
- For: Promoting implementation of a plan on biodiversity,
- Vision: Living in harmony with nature.
Que (13): International Day for the Abolition of Slavery, is observed on which date?
- Started by: United Nations,
- Purpose: To raise awareness regarding bad treatment related to slavery.
Que (14): The United Nations declared 2014 as which International Year?
A. Peace and trust
B. Creative economy
C. Plant health
- Importance: To emphasise the importance of crystallography in human life, where crystallography is the science of determining arrangement of atoms in crystalline solids.
Que (15): In which year Delhi became the capital of India?
- Foundation was laid on 12-Dec-1911 by King George V during New Delhi durbar a royal ceremony.
Que (16): The United Nations declared 2012 as the International Year of which thing?
- Importance: To highlight the contribution done by cooperatives for the socio-economic development by reducing poverty, generating employment etc.
Que (17): When is World Day for Water, recognised by the UN observed?
- Held annually,
- Aware people about the importance of freshwater,
- Laying emphasis on sustainable management of freshwater resources.
Que (18): The United Nations declared 4th week of September which week?
A. Friendship week
B. Nuclear peace week
C. Honour week
D. Peace week
Answer: Peace Week
- To emphasise that every person has a role to play in building peace and resolving conflicts.
Que (19): The United Nations declared 2008 as which International Year?
C. Global warming
D. Planet earth
Answer: Planet Earth
- Focus: To increase awareness about importance of Earth Sciences for advancement of sustainable development.
Que (20): When is Doctor’s Day, Bidhan Chandra Roy Birth Day is observed?
A. July – 1
B. July – 2
C. July – 3
D. July – 4
Answer: July – 1
- Celebrated on: 1st July ever year,
- In honour of: Physician and 2nd CM of West Bengal Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy.
Que (21): When is World Day for Audiovisual Heritage, recognised by the UN observed?
A. October – 22
B. October 23
C. October 20
D. October 15
Answer: October – 27
- By: UNESCO along with other organisations, governments and communities.
Que (22): When did India join the United Nations?
- India was a founding member which joined it 2 years before it’s independence and using this platform India started raising concerns over colonialism, racial discrimination etc.
Que (23): Which decade is celebrated as First International Decade of the World’s Indigenous People?
- Proclaimed by: United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on 21-Dec-1993.
Que (24): Which decade is celebrated as First United Nations Decade for the Eradication of Poverty?
Explanation: First United Nations Decade for the eradication of poverty (1997-2006) In its resolution resolution 50/107, the General Assembly proclaimed the First United Nations Decade for the Eradication of Poverty (1997-2006).
Que (25): International voluntary blood donation day is observed on which date?
Explanation: World Blood Donor Day is celebrated every year by people around the world on Nov 9.
Que (26): The United Nations declared 2009 as which International Year?
Que (27): Which creature is featured on the logo for International Year of Biodiversity 2010?
D. A greater flamingo
Answer: A greater flamingo
Explanation: The greater flamingo (Phoenicopterus roseus)
- A greater flamingo is the most widespread and largest species of the flamingo family.
- Found in: Africa and Indian subcontinent.
Que (28): Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru was born in which year?
- 14-Nov-1889 in modern day Prayagraj (Allahabad).
Que (29): In which year was the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) founded?
- Is the space agency of Government of India,
- Headquartered in: Bengaluru,
- Vision: Harnessing space technology for development of nation, planetary exploration, space science research etc.
Que (30): The United Nations declared 1994 as which International Year?
D. International Year of the Family
Answer: International Year of the Family
- By: United Nations General Assembly (UNGA),
- Theme: Family: resources and responsibilities in a changing world.
Other relevant links:
Hope we were able to provide you something useful information. Let us know what else we do to improve this article.
Or if you want us to write on any other topic.
6 thoughts on “Important Days National/International GK – I”